Friday, February 26, 2010

A Wayfarer's Canadian Anthem

Most people know that the Canadian national anthem begins, “O Canada…” But do you know the rest of the lyrics? With all the buzz over the Vancouver Olympics, I believe that today is the perfect time to share them with you.

Actually, I have to admit these lyrics aren't the official ones. I had a little fun rewriting the lyrics. This version is specifically intended for those of us who are silly enough, smart enough, or adventurous enough to vacation there.



A Wayfarer’s Canadian Anthem

O Canada! Your highways stretch for miles.
They’re threatening our over-eager smiles.
We fear the road shall never end;
but just when we are sure,
our guide begins the tour.

O Canada! Across your prairies wide
I feel a rhythmic rocking side to side
as grasses wave and breezes blow.
I’m feeling mighty sick.
Oh Dramamine, come quick!

O Canada! Your cities buzz with life—
museums, shopping, fine restaurants, nightlife—
best seen in summertime, of course.
Your fashion, culture, art
are modern, hip, and smart.

O Canada! Your famous people shine.
Joannie, Patrick, Toews all skate so fine.
Shania, Keanu, Celine
are but a dazzling few
who tip their hats to you.

O Canada! Your wilderness is wild,
and there I feel as if I’ve been exiled;
cumbersome pack upon my back
while path grows winding, steep
for miles before I sleep.

O Canada! I’ve glimpsed your creatures fierce:
brown bears and loons whose cries my eardrums pierce,
your fearsome goose and mighty moose.
Mosquitoes large as crows
eat me right through my clothes.

O Canada! Your rivers and your streams
run clearer than the visions in my dreams.
I pray before I take a drink
that parasites are dead
and there no moose have tread.

O Canada! O Canada!
O Canada! Forgive this tribute lame
O Canada! I love you all the same.

~by Sharlyn Guthrie













I’m participating in Fiction Friday today. Please visit The Veil Thins for links to more great fiction.

6 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this one all the more because we had the pleasure of visiting Canada over the summer. Beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I've never been, but it looks pretty on the Olympics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharlyn,

    These are great right down to the end and left me with a smile. At least it looks so beautiful and charming there.

    Love and Hugs ~ Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh Sharlyn, LOVE this! What a hoot! I didn't know the lyrics either and the "Oh Canada" has been going through my mind a lot lately. This is my kind of humor! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. THanks for visiting my blog (Weathered Vane). AND!!! for commenting. I don't get many comments so they are appreciated.

    You are a very gifted writer. LOVED both the Benny story and Sheep's tale. (Haven't read much further than that but it's past bedtime.)

    Cool to see you are from CR. I went to Coe for 2 yrs, so I feel a little connection. Thanks for stopping by. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute and timely piece! I've been to B.C. a few times and loved it!

    ReplyDelete

I treasure my readers. Please share your thoughts with me.